No Author Fees
Theory of Computing is free to readers and free to authors. There are no charges to authors for publication.
How to submit a paper
Papers must be typeset in LaTeX. Please send a short cover letter in plain text (no PDF, MS-Word, etc., please) by email to with the following content:
- the title of the paper
- authors' names, affilations, email addresses (please highlight the corresponding author)
- the length of the paper in normal 11pt TeX pages
- an abstract in plain text with minimal pseudo TeX code for formulas (this will be seen by most editors)
- a list of editors whose interests are close to the subject of the article
- if you previously discussed this paper with one of the editors, please let us know with whom.
- if a conference version of this paper exists or is being planned, please state conference status (name, date of conference, submission/acceptance/publication status of paper) and give a link to the conference version; otherwise state: "no conference version." (Please inform the editors if the conference status of the paper changes while the paper is in the editorial process; and also inform the editors if a competing paper, not mentioned in the submission, comes to your attention.)
- a statement that you intend to submit the paper for publication in "Theory of Computing" along with the following statement: "The author(s) of the present submission ("the Work") agree that if the Work is accepted for publication by "Theory of Computing" ("the Journal"), the Work will be published under the Journal's Copyright Policy, including the Agreement therein, appearing at http://theoryofcomputing.org/copyright2009.html. I, the corresponding author, warrant that all authors have been advised and have consented to the terms of the Agreement and I act as duly authorized agent of the other authors." (You may omit the last sentence in case of a single author.)
The Subject line of the cover letter should say "ToC cover letter."
In a separate message, send the paper in portable document format (PDF) along with its LaTeX source file. The Subject line should say "ToC submission."
We encourage prospective authors to sign up for email notification.